The Wing Chun Panda Club
HELPING YOUR KIDS GROW CONFIDENT AND STRONG THROUGH CRITICAL AND REALISTIC SELF DEFENSE SKILLS...
...and have fun while they're at it!
Wing Chun is a unique form of Kung Fu and the only traditional martial art that was created by a woman. It was designed to overcome the strength of a more powerful man by using superior intelligence, bio-mechanics and skill. Children and women have historically been the most vulnerable of society, meaning they are in most need of developing methods to overcome their smaller size and lesser strength!
Our classes will help your children express their excess energy and give them a range of unique, holistic benefits that is hard to find all pooled in any one outlet. They will learn not just fitness, but broad life skills, thinking skills, self-defence and confidence.
Sifu Zed has been training in the Martial Arts for 20 years in various forms of martial art. He is a 2nd Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo and is NZ's representative to transmit Xuan Wing Chun through Grandmaster Danny Xuan.
He has experience applying his skills in the security sector and has been teaching Martial arts for the last 15 years. He also has training as a school teacher.
Why Wing Chun Xuan Kung Fu?
We really believe in the amazing benefits of Wing Chun for kids and parents! Our program takes it a step further and is more holistic covering both body and mind, as traditional kung fu intended. What other activity that can give you all these benefits in one program?
- Confidence and practical strategies in dealing with confrontation
- Development of unique, usually ignored, left + right brain motor skills
- Increased flexibility, balance and reflexes
- Good spinal posture and better understanding of bone alignment
- Promotion of healthy eating and fitness
- Instruction of proper exercise form
- Breathing technique that will improve patience, health and reduce anxiety
- An improved sense of proprioception and balance giving them more body control and reducing clumsiness
- An understanding of Kung Fu concepts that apply to life, e,g: seeking efficiency, overcoming obstacles, etc.
- Analytical skills, higher self reflection and attention to detail
- General strength, body coordination and hand-to-eye co-ordination
- Leadership, social skills and coaching skills through helping classmates
- Competitive team work through physical activities and games
- More self discipline, focus and concentration
- Better self control over mood swings and aggression
- A physical outlet to express creativity
- More respect and appreciation for others, elders and teachers
- The ability to question, critique and rationalize (not just follow blindly like your typical mcdojo!!)
Who can join?
Only primary school children between the ages of 7-12 are welcome to join this program. Exceptions may be made in special cases.
When and Where do we train?
These classes take place every Sunday at 24 Platinum Drive, Wigram from 11am - 1pm.
What do they learn?
To unlock the full potential of your child, our curriculum is in the form of a personalized check list of achievements.
We call it a ‘Training Map' and it is maintained and reviewed with each student to monitor their progress and ensure 'no child is left behind'. Parents are welcome to review their child's progress through this document.
This system allows each student to go truly at their own pace. It enables those who can learn faster to go through those components easier, while highlighting other areas where they are weaker.
There are three core levels following this Curriculum:
- Foundations Level
A beginner's main focus is on the basic Punching drills, Balance exercises, and most importantly, understanding and applying the first form of Wing Chun: The "Siu Lim Tao". Good ethics and martial art philosophy is a huge component of this stage as mastering Wing Chun starts with the mind and attitude.
- Intermediate Level
Once the basics are patted down, this stage focuses on more direct applications and using the tools techniques and concepts in more mobile and dynamic situations. The ideas, techniques and exercises in the "Chum Kiu" form are taught in detail at this level.
- Advanced Level
Having successfully fulfilled the requirements and completed the curriculum of the previous stages, this level explores advanced techniques and concepts that are extremely difficult to practice without strong foundations. The mechanics and tools of the "Biu Tze" form are taught and practiced at this stage.
The system contains 9 certificates in total and parents can be invited to review their child's progress on grading days or through video in our members area. Each certificate is designed to take approximately 3 months of consistent training to achieve, but there is no real time limitation and it is highly dependent on each individual student and many progress faster if they are naturally talented, or slower if they are younger, too stiff, or too loose.
An example schedule of what happens in class would be:
- 11.00 am: Class starts with breathing exercises, warming up and stretching.
- 11.10 am: Practice of Kung Fu Forms.
- 11.30 am: Technique, Punching and Kicking Drills.
- 11.45 am: Coordination Drills (Pak Sau, Balance Table etc).
- 12:00 pm: Chi Sau (Sticky Hands) sensitivity drills.
- 12.15 pm: Fitness Session (fitness/body weight exercises, obstacle course etc)
- 12.30 pm: Snack break: Warm down and stretching,
- 12.45 pm: Story time, Quiz, Writing activity or Q&A.
- 1.00 pm: Class end.
What Do They Need To Bring?
- Sneakers recommended in case outdoor activities take place, but shoes are removed before entering the kwoon (training hall)
- Some healthy snacks for break time.
Drinking water is provided onsite. No specific uniform is necessary although loose clothing is recommended
How Much Does It Cost?
Membership fees are due every 3 months in advance starting from their start date to secure your child's place and to confirm their commitment to the class.
The cost for a 3 month tuition payment is 200NZD.
(Discounts may be given to families with siblings.)
Due to limited places, payment is requested in advance and no refunds are provided after the first class, dedication and commitment to the program is expected in order for them to excel!
If you have any questions, please click here to contact us with your inquiry....otherwise, throw your kids into this fun and stimulating hobby by clicking below!