The Wing Chun Panda Club!
A program that help your kids grow confident, strong and disciplined in a fun and safe environment...
Wing Chun is a unique form of Kung Fu and the only traditional martial art that was created by a woman. It was designed to overcome the strength of a more powerful man by using superior intelligence, bio-mechanics and body control.
Our classes will help your children express their excess energy and give them a range of unique, holistic benefits that is hard to find all pooled in any one outlet. They will learn not just fitness, but broad life skills, thinking skills, self defence and confidence.
Sifu Zed has been training in the Martial Arts for 20 years, has experience applying it in the security sector and has been teaching people of all ages for the last 10 years. He is a 2nd Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo and is NZ's official representative authorized to transmit Xuan Wing Chun Kung Fu through Grandmaster Danny Xuan. He also has training as a school teacher which helps with class and behavior management.
Why Our Wing Chun Kung Fu?
There are amazing benefits from Wing Chun Training, as our program is holistic and covers both body and mind. There is no other activity that can give you all these benefits in one program:
- Confidence and practical strategies in dealing with confrontation
- Development of unique, usually ignored motor skills
- increased flexibility, balance and reflexes
- Straight spinal posture and better understanding of bone alignment
- Promotion of Healthy eating and fitness
- Instruction of proper bodyweight exercise form
- Breathing technique that will improve patience, health and reduce anxiety
- An improved sense of proprioception and balance giving them more control over their body and reducing clumsiness
- A basic understanding of Kung Fu concepts that apply to life
- Analytical skills, higher self reflection and attention to detail
- General strength, body coordination and hand-to-eye co-ordination
- Leadership, social skills and teaching skills through helping classmates
- Competitive team work through physical activities and games
- More self discipline, focus and concentration
- Better self control over mood swings and aggression
- A physical outlet to express creativity
- More respect and appreciation for others, elders and teachers
- The ability to question and rationalise ideas and techniques
Who can join?
Only primary school children between the ages of 7-12 are welcome to join this program. Exceptions may be made in special cases.
When and Where do we train?
These classes take place every Sunday at 24 Platinum Drive, Wigram from 11am - 1pm.
What do they learn?
To unlock the full potential of your child, our curriculum is in the form of a personalized check list of achievements.
We call it a ‘Training Map' and it is maintained and reviewed with each student to monitor their progress and ensure 'no child is left behind'. Parents are welcome to review their child's progress through this document.
This system allows each student to go truly at their own pace. It enables those who can learn faster to go through those components easier, while highlighting other areas where they are weaker.
There are three main levels following this Curriculum:
- Foundations Level
A beginner's main focus is on the basic Punching drills, Balance exercises, and most importantly, understanding and applying the first form of Wing Chun: The "Siu Lim Tao". Good ethics and martial art philosophy is a huge component of this stage as mastering Wing Chun starts with the mind and attitude.
- Intermediate Level
Once the basics are patted down, this stage focuses on more direct applications and using the tools techniques and concepts in more mobile and dynamic situations. The ideas, techniques and exercises in the "Chum Kiu" form are taught in detail at this level.
- Advanced Level
Having successfully fulfilled the requirements and completed the curriculum of the previous stages, this level explores advanced techniques and concepts that are extremely difficult to practice without strong foundations. The mechanics and tools of the "Biu Tze" form are taught and practiced at this stage.
The system contains 9 certificates in total and parents can be invited to review their child's progress on grading days or through video in our members area. Each certificate is designed to take approximately 3 months of consistent training to achieve, but there is no real time limitation and it is highly dependent on each individual student and many progress faster if they are naturally talented, or slower if they are younger, too stiff, or too loose.
A typical schedule of what happens in class would be:
- 11.00 am: Class starts with breathing exercises, warming up and stretching.
- 11.10 am: Practice of Kung Fu Forms.
- 11.30 am: Technique, Punching and Kicking Drills.
- 11.45 am: Coordination Drills (Pak Sau, Balance Table etc).
- 12:00 pm: Chi Sau (Sticky Hands) sensitivity drills.
- 12.15 pm: Fitness Session (fitness/body weight exercises, obstacle course etc)
- 12.30 pm: Snack break: Warm down and stretching,
- 12.45 pm: Story time, Quiz, Writing activity or Q&A.
- 1.00 pm: Class end.
Parents can also access a private Facebook Group where you can review the progress of the children through video feedback and photos.
What Do They Need To Bring?
We recommend the following:
- A bottle of water to stay hydrated.
- No specific uniform is necessary although loose clothing is recommended
- A sweater should be brought for cold days in case of outdoor activities.
- Sneakers should be worn
- Some healthy food lunch for lunch.
How Much Does It Cost?
We request that membership fees are paid every 3 months in advance to secure your child's place and to confirm their commitment to the class.
The cost for a 3 month tuition payment is 200NZD.
(Discounts may be given to families with siblings.)
Please do all the research you need to and ask whatever you like as no free classes are given and payment is required in advance.
However, if for whatever reason you or your child is not happy with the class, a full refund can be requested after the first class. After this grace period however, no refunds are given and dedication and commitment to the program is expected in order for them to excel.
If you have any questions, click here to contact us with your enquiry....otherwise, throw your kids into this fun and stimulating hobby by clicking below!